Jul 6, 2012

S-Works MMC Redux

I Bought this 1994 S-Work Metal Matrix Composite new at Ambridge Bike Shop.

It's been all over with me and logged thousands of miles.

It has machine soul: "the ethereal component of the machine."


Originally it was gun metal gray, a very nice color for a mtb. But the sands of time ruined the finish. So I stripped the parts, sandblasted it to bare metal, then powdercoated it satin black. The gruppo is 2011 Deore XT 2x10. The fork is 1"; it is hard to find a shock for that size nowadays. So I put on a ridged cro-moly fork--yowza that ought to be a boneshaking ride!


Only the stem (titanium) and seat collar (titanium) are original. I kept my Paul love levers and Hershey Racing magnesium brakes, which I installed circa '95. The levers are still in production, although they look stubbier today; but the brakes were produced for only one or two years by Hershey Racing, which is now defunct. They were too sweet to leave off.

"It is only the frame, the heart of the bike, that the machine soul can reside in, usually in between the electron clouds that surround the lattice of atoms in a metal bike..." Oh yea, this frame has it.

No comments: